Audio dictionary - WordWeb American English v1.52
Compatible with iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad. Requires iOS 3.0 or later
A quick, easy to use, and comprehensive American English dictionary/thesaurus with 70 000 professionally recorded audio pronunciations. Fast searching, detailed definitions, synonyms, derived words, examples, and a great user interface let you easily navigate between words as you discover and explore their meanings.
The comprehensive WordWeb dictionary database includes:
- 285,000 words, phrases and derived forms
- 225,000 word sense definitions
- 70,000 usage examples
- 70,000 audio pronunciations
- 90,000 text pronunciations
- Synonyms and similar words
- American, British and international vocabulary
The intelligent word entry suggests possible correct spellings as you type, as well as listing words that sound the same or are often confused. In addition there's a fast pattern-matching word search feature, great for crossword puzzles and finding that word or phrase you've forgotten.
Search features include:
- Alphabetical listing
- Spelling suggestions
- Sounds-like and often-confused
- Fast pattern-matching search (*, ?, vowel and consonant)
- Filter search results by noun, verb, adjective, adverbs
- Customize search options (case, derived forms, etc)
No Internet connection is required to use WordWeb (unlike audio in dictionary.com). A smaller version without audio is also available - search iTunes for WordWeb.
What's New in Version 1.52
- iPad and iOS4 improvements: swipe left and right to browse entries, better spelling suggestions
- Updates and option to disable auto-rotation, clear search
Respect can give you power, but power does not give you respect.